Skip to main content

A day in Mumbai - Part 2

Statistics say that Mumbai local trains kill more than a terrorist attack. 3,880 people lost their life while crossing the railway track, getting down from the train or travelling on the roof and falling over. 25,000 volts of electricity run through the electric lines and hence many people die due to electrocution. Its a baffling statistic to read but that is a grim portrayal of the reality.

The train stopped at the stations and the people kept pouring in and out of the train. The train entered the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus. Its a sprawling railway station built during the British rule in India. Its an UNESCO world heritage site.

Fredrick William Stevens an architectural Engineer from British Colonial Government, designed the Victoria Terminus. It has a Gothic Architecture. Coming out of CST station I found the busy P D’Mello road. The magnificent Municipal Corporation of Mumbai was overlooking its neighbor the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus made out of the defacto architectural design books, the Gothic revival style architecture that adds to the rustic appeal.
Tourists were clicking photographs in the backdrop of the headquarters of CST station as the taxi drivers awaited their first keep off the day. I walked along the footpath as the commuters with their hurried steps crossed the road ahead. The adjoining buildings with their Victorian architecture that are the trademark of Fort, Mumbai spread until the end of the road. The footpaths were full of hawkers busy selling their goods, penny chapbooks, goggles, wallets, and belts. It was contrasting to find makeshift stalls in front of plush showrooms of Apple, American Tourister.

The hawkers made a brisk business as tourists and locals bought products worth a few rupees. The monsoon having already subsided the Mumbai Municipal Corporation decided to reinvent the road a bit this led to diversion. I took a side lane and continued on to the road. The Fort region in Mumbai is a place for the book worms with many book shops. Kitab Khana is one such book shop which looks suave and elegant from within.

Passing the Zara’ showroom I took a right towards the book stalls that sell second-hand books. Book lovers from across the city visit one of these stalls to find the book they want to read. The road diverged, I went straight to find the headquarters of Central Bank of India, HSBC, and Bank of India. I saw the esteemed campus of the University of Mumbai. Opposite the university lies the Bombay High Court, it is one of the oldest high courts in India. I walked between the alley separating both and reached oval maidan.

After having a glass of refreshing sugar-cane juice, I stood near the bus stop for a bus to reach Colaba. But a gentleman told me I was standing on the wrong side of the road and need to be on the other side. I walked back to the main street and reached the mesmerizing Kala Ghoda, in front of the statue is the David Sassoon Library founded in 1847. I entered the dark and dusty foyer of the library a solitary gentleman sat near the counter. I asked him, “How do we enroll as a member of this library?” He pointed me towards the placard near the counter. Getting a membership there would mean a lot of traveling to change and renew the book. Having thought about membership, I asked him “Where is the Bus-Stop?” He pointed in the direction of Kala Ghoda.

I came out of the library. It was 1:30 pm in the afternoon, the sun was blazing and I was hungry. I passed The Jehangir Art Gallery, but it was no good at the moment. I found out a decent enough restaurant to satiate my hunger and soothe my taste buds. I polished off a plate of Pav Bhaji with butter pav and drank a glass full of lassi. The lassi made me feel all cool inside. I paid my bill and came outside.

It was 2:30 pm now with a step in my stride and food in the belly I walked towards Colaba. The traffic had eased down and I walked in the shadows of the buildings. I went past the Metro cinemas. People were buying beautiful lanterns, artifacts from a makeshift stall which had a certain charm to it.
The street was full of vendors selling clothes, sandals, and essentials. Making my way through the crowd I kept trudging forward. A square ahead to the left is the magnificent Taj hotel, adjacent to it is Oberoi Hotel overlooking the expansive Arabian sea.

Group of tourists gathered together to click a selfie in the backdrop of The Gateway of India and the Arabian Sea. The blue sea spread across the horizon was majestic. Contemplating its beauty I felt humbled. It was 4pm in the evening as I hailed a cab. “Marine drive please,” I said. The driver revved up the engine and started towards the marine drive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h