Skip to main content

Trek to Alang,Madan and Kulang - I

It was the month of February. I was trying to figure out what I want to learn for the rest of the year. Where does my peace lie, what makes me feel happy? Intuitively I was learning Scheme a variant of Common Lisp language that was created for research in Artificial Intelligence by John McCarthy. It was tough and hard to grasp. Tired with a steep curve of learning, I decided to go for a trek along with my friend Pranav.

I called another friend of ours, Sanket he is a trekker at the core and arranges amazing trekking expeditions. Coincidentally has the same name as mine. It was decided that we would climb the Alang, Madan and Kulang Forts. The troika of three peaks situated in Nashik District in the state of Maharashtra. The forts known for their magnificence where built during the reign of Shivaji Maharaj the rugged entirety of the forts stands tall braving the ravages of time.

Starting in the night Pranav and I got on the train leaving for Kasara. The train was filled with people in all corners, it moved out of the Thane station steadily as we found Sanket and others sitting in the compartment. I stood in the compartment finding my inch of space among the crowd as Pranav found him somewhere. I could feel a strange hollowness in my stomach. I knew I didn’t like heights. But there would be ropes and harnesses I had been telling myself. Don’t think these thoughts this will make you look sullen, I told myself. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits, I thought. Let’s go with the flow.

We reached Kasara late in the night. The streets wore a deserted look. Occasional bark of a stray dog shattered the silence of the night as we walked in the darkness of the underground tunnel. Coming outside the tunnel we could see two jeeps waiting for us. After a short round of introduction, we got into the jeep and headed towards Samrad, the base village. The road was narrow and had no street lights, the headlights of the jeep pierced through the endless darkness of the night.

It was three thirty as we reached Samrad. The place to stay was a small eatery. It was a hut made out of wood, cement, and bricks. Getting of the jeep I could feel the winter chill. A guy from the hut came outside. He said, “Hi Sanket, How was the journey?” “It was good,” Sanket said. “Come inside it is too cold out there.” He said. “Guys you can sleep and take rest. We will have our breakfast at 7:00 am and start our trek.” I got my sleeping bag out, curling myself inside it I slept through the night. It was already sunrise as I woke up. I went outside I could see Pranav clicking photos, Sanket was arranging our breakfast.

At seven thirty in the morning, we formed a circle in front of the hut after having our breakfast of Kande Pohe. Sanket briefed us about the trek giving us the necessary details and advice. The fifteen of us headed towards the triad of Alang, Madan, and Kulang. We crossed through mist-laden paddy fields. Dipping our shoes wet in the stream, we walked over small pebbles and stones that were present beneath the clear water.

We entered the dense patch of the forest at the base of Alang. We walked through the woods crossing many trees and went deep into the jungle. Somewhere long away, people are doing sensible things watching cricket, going shopping and meeting their girlfriends. I could see the Alang fort standing tall at 4500ft built atop the hills, staring balefully back at me reflecting nothing but the question – Why?

I feel humble in front of the humongous mountain that is a part of the Sahyadri Range. The rugged mountain of black rock exudes grace and beauty. Sahyadri is known for its tough exterior and gentle and green forest cover is like a mother who is gentle at the core, and tough on the outset. She takes care of her unruly and wayward kid, teaching him some tough lessons but at the end of the day loves him.

The sun shone brightly in the sky as we pushed forward. Taking regular intervals to drink water and keep ourselves hydrated. The curvy path took us through the jungle. It was twelve in the noon as we reached the top of the Alang fort. The huge plateau has two caves and eleven water cisterns. Exploring the plateau I could see the reminiscence of old structures. The panoramic view from the fort was breath taking. In the east, Kalsubai and Aundh fort can be seen at a distance. Harihargadh, Trimbakgadh and Anjaneri gadh are its adjacent neighbors. Down south one can see Harishchandragadh, Ratangadh, and Ajoba gadh. We had our lunch inside the cave, Rohidas and Tulsidas had prepared a lip-smacking combo of Zunka-Bhakri. It was spicy and equally tasty. I polished off a plateful with a tongue tickling mango pickle. After lunch, we rested for a while in the cold interior of the cave.

We started our descend, the steps down the hill were steep and completely exposed, I could see the fall 4500ft down the hill. I felt a lump in my throat and the same hollowness in the stomach. I couldn’t command my knees anymore. I turned sideways and spread my hands across the black rock of Sahyadri. My palms touched the rugged and solid exterior of the black rock, finding a grip to ascend. As I took my first step down I could feel a tender touch of care and support helping me traverse the difficult patch.

After coming down, a fifty feet rappelling portion was waiting for us. “I have never done any rappelling,” I said. “Good then do it now,” Sanket said as he tied my harness to the rope. My heart was beating faster. I took a step towards the depth. Fear had gripped me as heart thudded inside the ribcage. “Take a deep breath. Let it all go.” Sanket said. I could see the fall beyond. “Keep yourself ninety degrees to the rock,” Sanket shouted. When you are in a tough spot you want to run away, in a fight you want to run away from your foes, you want to run away from the resistance, but when we fight resistance we are in war with death, and there is no place to runway. Stay strong my heart. Lean where your fears are there in lies your peace. I leaned back and could see the sky blue. I let the rope pass through the biley and traverse the depth slowly and steadily. I felt gratified as I came down.

“Good, Now be ready for the climb,” Sanket said as he came down rappelling. There was a steep fall towards our left, we kept walking keeping ourselves to extreme right. We reached the climbing spot as the sun was setting in the background leaving behind its vermilion hue in the sky. Everyone was going ahead but an uncle from the other group was scared to death and wouldn’t go up. “No it’s too tough, I won’t make it,” he said. “Sir, it's getting late in the evening we have to make the climb before dark.” The guide said. Midway through the climb as he was climbing gingerly he lost the grip of his bag, and his bag went tumbling down the hill. He made it to the top some how. I kept staring the top as I was next in the line. With my heart beating in my ribs I held the rope and took a deep breath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h

Internship Saga - Part 2

The canteen was filled with employees from all the floors. But the canteen seemed to be a chilled out place with a lot of delicacies to try. I ordered a Mysore Masala Dosa. The chutney was tangy and sambhar was lip smacking. I gorged onto the dosa in no time as I was hungry. We came back to the Board Room and were waiting for Arya. “How was your lunch guys? Arya asked as she came in the Board room. “It was good.” We said in unison. The rest of the day was spent knowing about the work and various food outlets in the Corporate.Inc. It was Monday a fresh day of a new week. I was pumped up to start my work and get on with the issue raising stuff. But we had to wait until afternoon before the things streamlined. Waiting in the Board room we were passing our time reading books and watching the world outside the glass panes. Then suddenly in a moment’s time, one of the Corporate’s Sirs came in the Board room. “Good Afternoon, I am Nelson Marcus, the manager at the Corporate.Inc.” The ma