Skip to main content

Trek to Chanderi Fort

It was the month of October and the heat was menacing. It was one of those phases where winter was round the corner but not yet there. I was in my freshman year and I had decided that I will be exploring the treks in the Sahyadri Range in Maharashtra. It stretches 1,600 Km in its entirety from Gujrat to Kerala.

Jayesh one of my friends from the school called me “Let’s go for a trek to Chanderi Fort.” As I was in the groove for adventure I said, “yes!” though unsure of what was coming. But to have a complete experience I did my homework. I found out a few nuggets about the trek. Chanderi is a rugged black massif that is 800 meters high. Adjoining it is a group of four pinnacles called Mhasmal.

Once an impenetrable fortress with strong walls. Today it finds itself in ruins due to the ravages of time. In May of 1656, Shivaji Maharaj had captured it from the Mughal Rule. The approach route is difficult with dense jungle and steep waterfall in between. With an average endurance and less than a trek’s experience, I decided to climb the trek.

The outside was still dark as the alarm buzzed at five. Without wasting a single minute I got up and quickly got ready with a packed knapsack. taking down my hunter shoes from the almirah, filling up water in the bottle I left my home for the station. We boarded the train bound to Karjat. The train was filled with lots of passengers most of them where heading for a trek. One guy was wearing a Trekfriends T-shirt. “Hi I am Sanket and he is Jayesh. I have booked couple of seats for the Chanderi Gadh trek.” I said. “Hi! I am Vishal leading the trek, meet Shruti, Jayshree and Akash.” Vishal said.

We found our place in the already filled boggie. The rail tracks were gleaming as the morning Sun shone brightly on them. Slowly and steadily the train passing every station reached Shelu. The station was deserted, with only an office for the Station Master and a waiting room. Shelu is one of the small sleepy towns on the Central Railway line. Nobody got off the train accept us. Vishal called his co-leader, “Where are you? We have got down from the train at Shelu.” Vishal said over the phone. He turned towards us and we realised that we have got down at the wrong station.

We had to get down at Vangani. The next train back to Vangani was an hour later. Waiting for the train was a fool’s errand. Following the rail tracks we started walking towards Vangani. The heat was sweltering and I was perspiring by the litre. “You studied at the same school?” Shruti asked. “Yes we were batch mates since the fifth standard.” Jayesh said.“This is my first trek expedition.” I said. “Oh, its a first for me too.” Shruti said. A fast moving train was approaching as we could feel the tracks rumbling. We saw the train coming our way and seeing it we quickly leapt on the other track and witnessed the mighty locomotive whizz past us.

Vangani seemed to be miles away and there was no sign of any station. But we could see a tempo driver was waiting at the railway crossing for the clearance of the signal. “Where are you going?” He asked. “We are going to Vangani.” Vishal said. “I am going to Vangani as well, Hop in.” Driver said. He drove us through small alleys. The tempo leaving behind a trail of dust passed many a shops and houses. Finally we reached Vangani railway station. We heaved a sigh of relief after alighting with the group.

It was ten and we were getting late for the trek. But trek couldn’t be started without having breakfast. Everyone was hungry. We entered a Hotel and gorged on to some Vada pav and Kanda Bhajiya and washed it down with Nimbu pani. We started off our trek at eleven in the morning after a round of Introduction and Prayer. A path led into the jungle beyond the last triangle roofed hut. It was thick, dense forest with mesmerising and pleasant greenery. We kept walking in the shades of many a tree. It was a pleasant setting for the trek. I could see the dark black peak of Chanderi Fort. We were about to experience the dark, rugged side of Sahyadri Range.

The trek was easier said than done. It tested one’ endurance and stamina at every turn. Resting a while and keeping ourselves hydrated was of utmost importance as we kept climbing. The sun was completely above us blazing all guns. Climbing the boulders, crouching and getting up, we kept walking through the bushes and the thorns. I saw a palm-sized spider perched on his web. I understood that nature is a beautiful painting of the Great Creator.

It was two thirty in the afternoon. We reached the top of the pinnacle. The dense jungle was spread across the deep valley. The city could be seen expanding beyond the horizon. Opening up the packet of crisps, biscuits, and wafers we took our lunch in the cave atop. After resting a while we began our descend. As we got up Jayesh started wincing in pain as his leg got cramped. I took him by the shoulder and started walking.

Taking regular intervals to keep ourselves hydrated, We kept coming down. But it was getting darker by the second. The sun was setting in the sky leaving behind a crimson hue. It was the onset of winter the days where shorter than the nights. We could feel the darkness beneath the canopy of the forest. We hadn’t carried a torch, but we kept walking down in the glow of our mobile phones. Two villagers who had accompanied us along the way were leading us out of the woods.

It was seven in the evening when we reached the base village. It was too dark and all I could see was stars spread across the open sky. We were grateful that we came down with our essentials together. On reaching the base village we entered a Hotel and gorged on to Misal Pav to satiate our hunger. Boarding the train to Thane I was trying to relive the moments and I felt gratified by the exhilarating experience of my first trek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h

Internship Saga - Part 2

The canteen was filled with employees from all the floors. But the canteen seemed to be a chilled out place with a lot of delicacies to try. I ordered a Mysore Masala Dosa. The chutney was tangy and sambhar was lip smacking. I gorged onto the dosa in no time as I was hungry. We came back to the Board Room and were waiting for Arya. “How was your lunch guys? Arya asked as she came in the Board room. “It was good.” We said in unison. The rest of the day was spent knowing about the work and various food outlets in the Corporate.Inc. It was Monday a fresh day of a new week. I was pumped up to start my work and get on with the issue raising stuff. But we had to wait until afternoon before the things streamlined. Waiting in the Board room we were passing our time reading books and watching the world outside the glass panes. Then suddenly in a moment’s time, one of the Corporate’s Sirs came in the Board room. “Good Afternoon, I am Nelson Marcus, the manager at the Corporate.Inc.” The ma