Skip to main content

The Interview

I had bought a pair of formal shirts and a tie. I was getting ready for the interview. I was eager to attend this interview as I really wanted to work at this startup. The work was just the way I like around people who cared for ideas, and along the way, I could write and explore new places. I booked a cab and hurried for the interview. The cab stopped near cometbucks. ‘The startup was pretty cool to keep an interview at the cafe’ I thought. I entered the cafe to find it empty and the cafe had a feeling of emptiness attached to it. The trademark smell of brewing coffee was amiss and as if it had been closed for a while. I moved across the cafe and entered the family area. But it was empty too. But it had two doors one was orange and the other green. I was at the crossroads and had to make a decision quickly. I closed my eyes and shrugged off the feeling of dread as I entered the door.

The decisions you make lead you to circumstances that you never dreamt of dreaming. In front of me was a cave that forked into distinct darkness. I chose to move inside the cave cautiously. I was thinking about why I am here? What was the need to enter the door with your eyes closed you could have walked off, there was no one waiting for you. But I had chosen to walk in and explore the possibilities behind the closed door. The air was moist and was thinning with every passing minute and the light was diminishing every passing second. I hit a wall as the path was completely shrouded in darkness. I sat there not knowing where the road led, confused to make a decision, too scared to walk further, too tired to walk back. Sitting there I felt something behind my back, something metallic, it was a chain I pulled it and the floor beneath slid past me. I fell down in a cart. The cart started as if on autopilot, and I was in for a roller coaster ride. The cart looped, whizzed past valleys and zipped across edges and I could see light across the tunnel and the cartwheeled through the tunnel out of the cave.

I jumped off the cart. It was on the beach. I could hear a helicopter moving across the distance. The helicopter landed on the ground. A few officials got down from the helicopter. “Take these papers and head for the mission.” The official said. I climbed the helicopter. Flying over the Pacific ocean I could see the blue waters stretch across the horizon. I was wondering how the day had panned out and what happened to the interview? “Fire up that laptop.” the pilot of the helicopter said. I turned it on. It was connected over the internet. “Be ready for the conference call.” The pilot said as the helicopter kept moving ahead. “Hi, I am Aarav Srivastav, Ideator-in-chief at the Newstartup. Congratulations on completing the first two stages of the interview. Now you are ready for the third stage.” Aarav said. “Thank you, sir,” I said. “Here is your task, take that parachute, and the life jacket and jump off the helicopter. A motorboat is waiting for you. Use the compass and head towards north. You will find an island. Map of the island is on the boat you have to find the treasure on the island. All the best.” Aarav said ending the call.

I wore the life jacket and the parachute and jumped off the plane which was traveling at 15,000 ft. I could feel the air gushing past me, and a sensation of falling down from a great height. The water was cold, but I could see the motorboat at a distance. I swam towards the boat. The boat sprang to life as I pulled the lever of the motor. Cutting right across the blue waters I reached the island. It was a small isolated Island with no life form on it. I took out the map. On it, a path was etched in red. I followed the path through the jungle and crossed a silent brook. Right in front of me was a cave, it was dark, moist and damp. Orange hue of burning flame spread through the cave. I kept walking as the path lead me deeper into the cave. I collided with a doorway and was trying to find a way through it.


Hovering the flame over the door, I saw ‘Lean where you fear is there in lies your peace.’ Interesting quote I thought. I found a chain and pulled it. The door slid across and made way for me. I kept walking inside I could see wall paintings on the wall of the pathway. Few pictures resembled certain memories from my life. I kept walking and the paintings started to make more sense. Someone had painted my life on the wall and I was completely amazed by the turn of events. I entered another doorway and it was well lit with a vermillion hue of glowing flame. Right on the wall I could see scribbled and doodled my strengths, fears, aspirations and core values. I could see the bright side, smooth and the dark side with its rough edges. ‘Who might be behind this’ I thought. Another door led me to the deepest core of the cave, the light inside was so bright I had to cover my eyes instantly. I could feel the light pouring over me, nurturing me in its purity. And suddenly I felt everything being sucked into oblivion. I traveled through a membrane. It was exhilarating. When I opened my eyes I found Aarav waiting for me waiting in Cometbucks.

“Great! Work you have completed the third stage of the interview.” Aarav said and asked me how I felt? “I felt authentic as if every cell of my body wanted to sing “I am alive,” I said. “That’s amazing, that’s exactly what we are looking for. The candidate who can express his authentic self unabashedly. And that’s why we are hiring you” Aarav said. I was so excited that I broke into an impromptu jig. “You will find the briefing of your first assignment in your inbox until then farewell.” Aarav said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem