Skip to main content

The Storm

The scooter was wobbling around with the wind. A ferocious storm was moving across the town. I could see mothers taking their children to the safety of their houses. People running away from the trees, the disruption was massive. The disaster management team was out there on the roads helping people to safe zones. The raindrops splashing on the helmet made it even worse. Thunderbolts hurtled across the skies. I was going at around forty kilometers per hour. A kid was running across the road, and I took a sharp turn to save him and slammed into a tree. I banged my head on the tree and everything blanked out.

I woke up and saw a cracked helmet, and found myself lying in pool of water. I could see rain pouring down heavily and winds blowing faster than normal. People running for cover. I was sitting beside a fallen trunk of the tree and could see a tumbled scooter. I got up and started walking not knowing where I was going. I heard a voice from behind. I turned back. It was Bethany. “Hey, you can’t leave my scooter like that. You have to deliver that package to Mrs. Dickens.” Bethany said. “How did I land up here? Where are you heading towards?” I asked confused. “You bumped your head on the tree, were lucky enough to survive the blow.” She said as she hugged me. “I was scared that I will lose you in the storm.” She said. “Don’t worry I am not going anywhere,” I said embracing her.

With Bethany around, the storm was much more bearable. “I wished it was a sunny day, we could have gone out somewhere long away from the daily routine,” I said. “What’s wrong with this day we are together and going to meet Mrs. Dickens.” She said wrapping her arms around me. “Yeah but it’s too stormy for a long drive,” I said. “Let’s wrap this quickly and go home,” I said with a wink and I like the way she blushed. We reached Mrs. Dickens’ house amidst the storm. “Here is your parcel Mrs.Dickens, We have taken extreme care of the parcel,” I said. “Oh, I am sure, you have, come in have. Take rest until the storm settles in.” She said. “No, we will have to go," I said. “Okay take care son!” Mrs. Dickens.

"Hold tight Bethany I am going to take off," I said. We reached home safely evading the obstacles in between. Reaching home I ranged the bell as usual. “Oops! I forgot there is no one home.” I said searching for my keys but finding nothing in the depths of my pocket. “Bethany do you have the keys?” I asked. No answer I turned back to find no one behind me, ‘Where has she gone?’ I thought.

“Thank god you are back, I was scared all this while,” Bethany said coming out of the house. “How did you get in the house?” I asked confused. “I was always inside the house waiting for you.” She said. “That’s impossible we both took the parcel at Mrs. Dickens place all the way across the city,” I said. “Dear I am not lying.” She said flustered. “Then who was she?” I asked. “Who?” she asked. “Your look alike. She got me through the storm made me remember why the hell I was on the road. I had almost lost track of everything.” I said. “What you met an accident on the road?” She asked worriedly. “Yeah I banged my head on the tree and escaped unscathed thanks to the almighty and then you were right through the journey after it,” I said. “I think you were hallucinating all this while because I never left the house. But now you are home, safe and I am here for real.” She said hugging me tightly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem