Skip to main content

Adventure in the Ocean

The sun shone brightly on the silver sands of the beach. We were excited to take on the blue waters of the ocean. Hiring a motorboat for the day we set out on the sojourn to travel across the ocean to the adjacent island. I had packed a few cakes, chips and lots of water for the day. This was our long awaited adventure. The summer vacations made sure our wait came to an end. Raj, me and Vikram had decided to go on an adventure trip to Australia. Being one of the driest, and hottest countries in the world we were up against adverse weather conditions. But on the contrary people in Australia were amazing with their wit and a happy go lucky attitude. Our tour guide Clara ensured that we were on time and through with every formality. “I am going to rip apart the waters. Come on boys.” Raj said as he was ecstatic to ride the boat.

Strapping on the life jacket, put on the sunglasses we got ourselves on the boat. Raj revved up the engine as we zoomed into the blue waters. My heart was beating along a bit louder as I was soaking in the sense of adventure. I could feel the breeze brushing past my hair and the warmth of the sun caressing me. “I am trying to find my way...” Vikram hummed while strumming his guitar, We followed along. “It been amazing sailing guys,” I said. “Sailor Raj keep moving along forty-four degree north latitude. I can see the island right in front of us.” Vikram said. “Aye Aye Captain,” Raj said. As I turned to pick up a can of cola we collided against something. I tumbled down on the floor of the boat. Vikram lost the grip of his guitar as they both went down, Vikram in the boat and guitar in the ocean. I looked up to see Raj, but he was not on the boat. He had tumbled out of the boat and was lurking in danger as the Shark which had attacked our boat was coming back to feast on him.

I should have taken that Shark Attack Survival 101 seriously, I thought. “Too late buddy,” Vikram said reading through my mind. I took out the rescue tube and aimed it towards Raj who was all over the place in the water somehow managed to get his hands on to it. “Raj wear it like a hula loop,” I said as Vikram started the engine and accelerated the boat. Raj was holding on to the tube as tightly as he could but we had to get him on the boat as soon as possible. He throttled the accelerator at full speed as the shark was closing in on Raj and suddenly he put the breaks on. Raj sped across cutting through the water and came near to the boat thanks to the momentum. We had saved Raj or at least the momentum had. The shark was furious with our attempts to disrupt its party came again to tumble our boat. But Vikram throttled the accelerator and entered the shallows near the island. Shark knew it had missed its prey and withdrew from its pursuit. We reached the island and got off the boat. We couldn’t believe that we had escaped the jaws of death. “That was an adventure worth remembering for a lifetime,” I said. “I can feel its cold breath,” Raj said still recovering from the shock. “I am not going to enter those waters anytime soon,” Vikram said. We spent rest of the day thanking almighty and having sumptuous food by the beach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Internship Saga - Part 2

The canteen was filled with employees from all the floors. But the canteen seemed to be a chilled out place with a lot of delicacies to try. I ordered a Mysore Masala Dosa. The chutney was tangy and sambhar was lip smacking. I gorged onto the dosa in no time as I was hungry. We came back to the Board Room and were waiting for Arya. “How was your lunch guys? Arya asked as she came in the Board room. “It was good.” We said in unison. The rest of the day was spent knowing about the work and various food outlets in the Corporate.Inc. It was Monday a fresh day of a new week. I was pumped up to start my work and get on with the issue raising stuff. But we had to wait until afternoon before the things streamlined. Waiting in the Board room we were passing our time reading books and watching the world outside the glass panes. Then suddenly in a moment’s time, one of the Corporate’s Sirs came in the Board room. “Good Afternoon, I am Nelson Marcus, the manager at the Corporate.Inc.” The ma

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem