Skip to main content

Note from the past

I came out of my office. It was a hard-earned day. Working along with the clientele, understanding their requirements, pitching in your point of view, keeping things under a feasible budget. Welcome to Software development. It's been a while I have been working as a developer at Technoprise Inc. The pay is good, projects offer challenge and I love working with my colleagues. Sometimes we have to wait late into the night. Development is always a race against deadlines.

“When is the next deadline?” Mayanti asked She worked in the Management Department. “The coming Friday,” I said making a cup of coffee from the vending machine. “That’s like now.” She said. “Yeah, but that’s what we get paid for,” I said with a smile. "You are always working." She said keeping her arm over my shoulder. “Let’s go I will drop you at your home,” I said.

We went downstairs in the parking. There was a note stuck on the windshield of the car. I took it to have a closer look. The note said, “I’ve your most prized possession. If you want to see it, intact, meet me tonight at the football field around the corner of our high school. I am wearing a fluorescent bandanna.” “It’s been ten years since we graduated from high school and he is still taking it seriously,” I said tossing the piece of paper. “Who is it, Stuart?” Mayanti asked with a worried face. “It’s the old pal of mine from the high school,” I said. “Is this some sort of revenge, vengeance?” She asked. “I don’t know and the funny part is that I don’t even play football,” I said. “What!” She said exasperatedly.

I took out the car and drove across the silent roads of the city. The moonlight spread across the dark surrounding. The sky was full of stars. I lowered the window of the car and breeze of cool wind brushed of Mayanti’ face scattering her loose hair. I slowed down the car. I was looking at her, she smiled back tying her hair in a bun. She leaned forward and I did too. Next moment we were kissing forgetting about the upcoming showdown. I was enthralled by the bliss of the moment.

We entered high school. I didn’t bring my football shoes but went straight to the football ground. I could see a fluorescent hue in the dark. “I knew you would come. I have been waiting all this while.” The voice in the dark spoke. I recognized the voice and remembered the old days. “Yeah, I wanted to see your rotten face,” I said in jest. We started running into each other. We took each other by the arms and grappled in the football field. While Mayanti’ reaction changed from shock to disbelief. “Stop it guys!” Mayanti said. “What you brought a girl to fight for you?” The voice said laughing. “No, I am enough to take you down,” I said getting up. “I have a valued possession of yours.” The figure said coming out of the dark. It was Ryan, my old buddy.

He handed me a photo album. We had clicked numerous photos on our many a treks and trips. I leafed through the album. I found Smriti, Ayush, and Sneha in the stills. Every memory flashed on the screen of my mind. “Those were some carefree days from the high school. I just love those memories. Truly this is a prized possession for me.” I said. “You bet they were. But here is another good news. I am planning a full-fledged reunion.” Ryan said excitedly. “Yes let’s plan it out,” I said ecstatically. "Wait but who is she?" Ryan asked. "She is my girlfriend," I said. "From the college?" Ryan asked. “Yes, She is Mayanti and he is my old friend Ryan,” I said. "That's great you can join us on the trip," Ryan said shaking hands with her. "That would be fun," Mayanti said. "I will keep you updated," Ryan said waving us bye. We went back to our car. “You have wonderful friends Stuart,” Mayanti said holding my hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Internship Saga - Part 2

The canteen was filled with employees from all the floors. But the canteen seemed to be a chilled out place with a lot of delicacies to try. I ordered a Mysore Masala Dosa. The chutney was tangy and sambhar was lip smacking. I gorged onto the dosa in no time as I was hungry. We came back to the Board Room and were waiting for Arya. “How was your lunch guys? Arya asked as she came in the Board room. “It was good.” We said in unison. The rest of the day was spent knowing about the work and various food outlets in the Corporate.Inc. It was Monday a fresh day of a new week. I was pumped up to start my work and get on with the issue raising stuff. But we had to wait until afternoon before the things streamlined. Waiting in the Board room we were passing our time reading books and watching the world outside the glass panes. Then suddenly in a moment’s time, one of the Corporate’s Sirs came in the Board room. “Good Afternoon, I am Nelson Marcus, the manager at the Corporate.Inc.” The ma

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem