Skip to main content

The Labyrinth

I opened my eyes, the world around me was a blur. I sat on my bed wrapped in my sheets. I got out of bed to use my bathroom. I couldn’t find the bathroom’s door. I looked around and it was not even my room. ‘How did I get in here?’ I thought. Last night I was in my bedroom, I remember sleeping right after setting up the alarm. Right in front of me, I could see a signboard on the wall that read “You have an hour get out of the labyrinth. Do not touch the walls.” I didn’t understand. But intuitively I started walking where the path took me. The walls around me were sketched with strange drawings. The script looked ancient and the drawings resembled occurrences of the past. I kept following the trail, counting my lefts and rights.

“Labyrinth is a maze with a unique path from centre to the outside world. Each one in the labyrinth has his own path.” The inscription on the wall read. I saw a woman come my way, I said, “Hello ma’am. How long have you been searching your way out?” I asked. “It’s been a long time I have been searching my way out, but now I kind of like it here. I have my kids waiting for me, I have to drop them to the school.” She said. “What there is a school in here?” I said confused. But the lady hurried away before hearing me out. I went down the path. ‘People find alternatives in their quest and make labyrinth their way of life. They say there is work out there, money and all the good things labyrinth can give you.’ A quote read on the wall.

A man was walking towards me and had a worried look on his face. Beads of perspiration had formed on his forehead. I said, “Sir I want to find my way out of this place and ...” “I don’t have a time for all this I have an all-important business deal. What path are you talking about? Money is all that matters.” He said and walked off. Then a group of cheery girls came walking down the path. “Hi, I want to find my way out of the labyrinth. Do you know where should I start, It seems I am walking meaninglessly.” I said. “What path are you talking about? But you can use GPS, we all use it.” She said and they all walked away smiling.

‘God has a unique path for everyone.’ Another quote on the wall read. I was walking past a group of junkies. “This labyrinth is bliss, I can feel it.” A guy said as he looked lost in some sort of ecstasy. “I am trying to find my path, can you help?” I asked. “What path? Have this stuff dude you will find your path right here.” The guy said and others started laughing. I walked away from there.
“I have solved the code jam questions, it got accepted, runtime was 0.93 secs.” A bespectacled guy said. “That is great, I solved the same question a day ago.” The other guy said. “Excuse me, I am trying to find my way out of the labyrinth. Can you help?” I said. “What way? What labyrinth? Go for higher education. You will find your place here.” The bespectacled guy said. “Okay, thanks. But I am not too sure.” I said.

‘Guru – dispels the darkness.’ The inscription on the wall read. I found a pair of boy and a girl walking hand in hand coming towards me. They seemed to be happy and relaxed. I was sure to find an answer here. “Its been a long time, I am trying to find my path out of here. Do you know the way out?” I asked. “We know the way to the Cinema hall, We don’t know about the path.” The boy said and they walked away. ‘I think I need to find a Guru.’ I thought. I was walking down the path, the clock was already ticking. ‘I need to hurry.’ I thought. I saw a sadhu meditating. I went to him. I asked, “Swamiji How can I find my path out of the labyrinth?” “Come visit my Ashrama. Keep this card.” Swamiji said as he stepped into his car and went away leaving behind a trail of dust. But how do I know the authenticity of the entire thing? I thought

I was walking along the path, with only a few minutes left. “Face your fears therein lies your peace.” I heard a voice from behind. “Everyone tries to find their path here in the labyrinth. You think its here. But it's not here. You ask people for advice but they don’t have a clue themselves. You make labyrinth your home.” The old man said. Suddenly a voice echoed in the surrounding. I put my finger into my ears but it was getting louder by the passing second. And then there was sudden pulling. I had a strange feeling of traveling through a vacuum. I heard the old man’ words echoing ‘face your fears therein lies your peace.’ I felt I was thrown away somewhere, but the surface was quite soft and comfortable. I opened my eyes to find myself wrapped in my sheets and lying on my bed as the alarm kept blaring. ‘What a dream!’ I thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Internship Saga - Part 2

The canteen was filled with employees from all the floors. But the canteen seemed to be a chilled out place with a lot of delicacies to try. I ordered a Mysore Masala Dosa. The chutney was tangy and sambhar was lip smacking. I gorged onto the dosa in no time as I was hungry. We came back to the Board Room and were waiting for Arya. “How was your lunch guys? Arya asked as she came in the Board room. “It was good.” We said in unison. The rest of the day was spent knowing about the work and various food outlets in the Corporate.Inc. It was Monday a fresh day of a new week. I was pumped up to start my work and get on with the issue raising stuff. But we had to wait until afternoon before the things streamlined. Waiting in the Board room we were passing our time reading books and watching the world outside the glass panes. Then suddenly in a moment’s time, one of the Corporate’s Sirs came in the Board room. “Good Afternoon, I am Nelson Marcus, the manager at the Corporate.Inc.” The ma

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem