Skip to main content

Internship Saga - Part 4

“Kab tak ginne hum dhadkane...” I was hearing songs in the lab checking on the lyrics, tonality, and quality. I had been assigned Tones and Tunes for the next three days. I was accompanied by Tejas and Chitra. It was a dull job because it had a lot of routine and repetitive tasks. While developing the application I was bored by the structure of the programming languages and the constraints. I was feeling bored as the internship entered the next week. Though the monitors were friendly and encouraging the work was pretty monotonous.

It was Friday and the departments were switched. I was now working on Corporate’ Phone. The monitor Abhilash was a chilled out guy who introduced us to the Phone’ essential features and asked us to explore the phone. I was ecstatic to work in the new department and had already found two issues. I felt better over here. During the development, I built a list in android using the popular listview and the recycler view. The next day I took the cycle around the campus to reach the building I was interning in.

We were raising a few issues. Then suddenly a girl walked into the lab. Bespectacled, with the glass on her nose, a laptop bag around her shoulders, she walked off in a sense of nonchalance. But I could sense her cluleyness. “Hi, you are the new intern,” I asked. “Yes, it's my first day.” She said. “I am Sanket working here as an intern since the last fortnight,” I said. “What are you guys doing here ?” She said. “We are raising a few issues in Corporate’ phone,” I said. Abhilash introduced her with the intricacies of the device.

“I am Samyukta. What you guys do over here?” She said. “We find issues in the first half and develop apps in the second half,” I said. “Right now, we are looking for certain features that do not work well,” Tejas said. “For example, the UI of the phone isn't designed properly,” Chitra said. “Is this your first internship,” I asked. “No, I have worked before for a Game development company and have tested their latest game.” She said. “How can you work on testing it's so boring?” I said. “I wanted to work and earn some money.” She said with a smile.

“I will give you two phones please share among yourselves,” Abhilash said. After an hour’ testing, Samyukta said, “What do you guys have for lunch? Where do you have your lunch?” “We go in the canteen and have our food. There is a canteen right on this floor and a floor above.” I said. “That sounds cool.” She said. I wrapped up my work quickly. “I have to leave early, I am having my lunch with my Dad,” I told Abhilash and waved my goodbye to them.

Dad was waiting for me near the canteen. The canteen was serving Kerala Special Thali. We ordered two special Thalis and where waiting for our turn.“Why there is no iddi uppam in the thali?” A lady ahead of us asked the canteen manager. “Ma’am we are not serving it today.” The manager said. “Without iddi uppam, there is nothing special about the Thali.” She said and walked away with her Thali. Finally, we got our Thalis and found a place to eat. For the next twenty minutes, we gorged on to the delicious Keralite delicacies. “Its amazing dad,” I said. “Yes, I find it delicious too, ”Dad said.

After polishing off the Thali, we went to have some Bengali desserts. I took Rashogulla and Dad took Chum-chum. We took a walk around the campus. Dad had his post-lunch yoga session. It was in a building a few blocks away from mine. One of my friends was working there as well. I waved my goodbye to dad and called Nilesh who was working in the firm. “Hi, Nilesh,” I said. “What’s up, bro?” Nilesh said. “Let’s play table tennis,” I said. “No, let’s play chess,” Nilesh said. We had to play chess as there were no racquets and a ball.

We were playing a game of chess. I lost a few pawns, he lost his queen, I lost my horse... “And that is checkmate.” I said. “You got me this time.” Nilesh said with some sadness. We parted our ways with a selfie. Meanwhile Samyukta called in, “Hey, where are you? I am standing in front of the development labs?” “I went to meet my friend, I am a few blocks away.” I said. “We can have a long lunch break? I can’t find anyone over here.” She said. “Talk with Spruha. She is the Android development monitor she will guide you. I am coming in a while.” I said. “Okay, take your own time.” She said. I took a cycle and rode along the roads of corporate to reach my building with a hope that second half of the day would be filled with ideation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Newton: A Perspective

A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know the world hadn’t ended.                     -Batman, The Dark Knight Rises Newton is a story that resonates with this quote. Its a story of a common man who sets on a mission to conduct fair elections in Konar, Chattisgarh amidst resistance from maoists and naxalites. Pairing up with corrupt government officials and promising yet indifferent co-workers, honesty and perseverance are Newton’s best allies. With Cynicism and scepticism ruling the day and a vote count as meagre as seventy six. Newton quickly realises that he has to get things in order. He tries to educate the oppressed villagers about election who have already given up on the government, but is shoved aside by the security head who says voting machine is a toy and election is a lottery. “ Great work takes time, even this forest took years to grow.” He is rem

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h