Skip to main content

Birla Mandir in Shahad

The sun was shinning bright in the morning sky. Birds were cooing in the morning dew. The smell of mist was dispensed in the air that carried a sense of freshness vivifying every heart with enthusiasm. I got out of my bed and quickly got ready. I had planned to visit Birla Mandir(Temple) in Shahad, a small town in the Ulhasnagar District of Maharashtra. Its a hindu temple of Vithoba also known as Vithal. Vithoba is incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The temple is known for its beautiful architecture and intricate carvings. I was eager to explore this century old temple.

I packed my bag with a bottle full of water and some fruits for the journey. Boarding the train to Shahad I settled near the window. The train was less crowded for a week day. Gazing past the window I could see green fields passing behind as the train moved forward. Sleepy hills covered with green blanket. The leaves on many a trees where swaying to the tunes of the wind which was gentle and loving. People kept pouring in and out of the train as I was lost in the world outside the window.

The train passed Kalyan Junction. It is an important station on Central Line. I stood up and went near the entrance of the train. The next station was Shahad. The train slowly entered the Shahad station. I quickly got down. I could see an alley disappearing behind the buildings. I started walking down the road and entered the location in the Google Maps. I realised I was going in the wrong direction. I came back to the station. Crossed the railway tracks by taking the foot over bridge.

Outside the station Rickshawwallahs were waiting for passengers. They were ferrying people to the Birla Temple but I decided to take a walk along the roads of Shahad and reach the Temple. I took out my handkerchief and wore it like a bandana. The sun was blazing relentlessly. There was not a single tinge of green and soothing grey of a shadow. It seemed to be as dry and arid as a dessert. The road was under construction and the asphalt was as hot as burning cinders.

The GPS showed that I was not far away from the destination. Taking a left past the Century Rayon Company. I stopped to have sugarcane juice.The juice was gratifying with its cooling effect. I started walking after paying and thanking the shopkeeper in the earnest. The narrow lane was filled with variety of shops ranging from groceries to apparels. The road was going uphill as I took a left turn. The locality was simple, people over here lived in cottages and small buildings. The lane got narrower. I could see posters of different Tution Classes proudly showing off the results of matriculation examination.

I came up the hill and could see the entrance of the temple. I entered the gate and saw a beautiful garden. The shadows of many a trees were respite from the scorching heat. I walked up the marble steps and was encountered by a security check. I submitted my mobile and bagpack and entered the temple. The entrance to the temple has two huge elephants carved in the walls and Lord Garuda, the eagle god adorns the top of the entrance.

The temple was built a century ago by the Birla family, hence the name. The architecture of the temple is inspired from the temples of South India. Along with the idol of Vithoba the temple adorns the idols of Lakshmi-Narayan and Lord Ganesha. I entered the temple and bowed down with my hands joined in supplication. The dome in the sanctum is intricately carved. Many a different sholkas from Bhagwadgita, Upanishads and Vedas are written in the walls of the temple. I took a pradakshina around the temple. The walls of the temple are adorned by Radha-Krishna, Ram, and other mythological characters from Hindu mythology. The temple had a peaceful vibe attached to it, I felt warm inside as I came out of the temple.

I walked back to the station. Now the heat was less relentless and much more bearable. The crowd was meagre on the platform as I boarded the train back to Thane. The train left Shahad behind. I unwrapped my lunch and started having my food. I thought of visiting Duragadi Fort and Ganga Ghat in Kalyan, but then that would have been too much extravagance for one afternoon. I kept that plan for some other day as I kept gazing past the window with sun warm on my side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Earthen Pots

As I sit beside the balcony, I see two earthen pots one besides the other, light brown, freckled and same, but still there lies a difference none the less. There was a blossoming flower once, with its ripening petals of red, being watered daily it grew slowly, maturing into a mesmerising rose. But now in the earthen pot lies dried leaves, shrive l led petals, and lifeless roots, all turned into the dust, with one cruel swipe of death. Dancing to the tunes of wind, a sapling grows in the other earthen pot, watered with care and love, life finds its way out through the mud. Life and death is a cycle, one takes place after another, the old becomes one with the sands of time, and the new blossoms with eternity.

The Mountain

Siddhartha was born in the month of monsoon, in a small sleepy hamlet called Thione. He was a cute and a healthy boy born to a decent couple. The father was a craftsman and mother was teacher in the town school. They lived in their cottage by the green mountains of Thione. There universe was always peaceful and happy. Siddhartha grew up in an environment that was filled with love and care. He was an efficient learner and was quickly taking his baby steps. The first word he uttered was “Maa..” that left tears of lasting joy in his mother’s eyes. He would play for hours with his toys and would then have his lunch made by his mother. The courtyard in the house had a swing. A baby Siddhartha would swing like a pendulum sitting over it. One day his gaze fell on the green mountains behind their cottage. “Maa, what’s there in the green mountains? For how long they have been sitting there still?” He asked with an unmatched curiosity. “They have been there since a very long, long

Why does a caged bird sing?

A bird beautiful and full of grace flies over the blue sky spreading its wings along the wind l etting it take to far away lands fly ing through the trees there is a , a sudden screech and a loud noise, trapped in the net the bird makes a failed try. Alas! Its too late for all that. Gazing past the window, the bird looks beyond the trees, sings about mountains and fields that are locked beyond. I heard the bird sing, with a melancholy in his voice, for him the freedom is so near yet so far and understood why does the caged bird sings?