Skip to main content

Our Birds Still Chirp in Karnala


 After entering the base of Karnala fort I went to buy my ticket. The forest officer said “The fort is closed for the day. You can visit the bird sanctuary. Give me your valid Id proof.” I gave him my pan card. “The other day when I came the fort was open until the evening,” I said. “The rules have changed since then.” The officer said. “Or is it because there are too few trekkers today,” I said. “Yes, and it is our responsibility to ensure that no mishap happens.” He said. Just then two more trekkers came along. Feeling an opportunity to make the climb I said, “We would climb the trek in the group of three.”


The forest officer agreed and gave us permission to climb the fort. After the customary checking of the bag, we were on our way. “Hi I am Sanket, I am studying Computer Engineering,” I said trying to know my fellow trekkers for the day. “I am Abhijeet. I am a second-year student of Microbiology. I am from Pune.” He said. “What’s your name?” I asked. “He is Sanjay. He is our professor of Environmental Science.” Abhijeet said. “I thought you are a student,” I said. “I will be pursuing my P.hd and I am a student for life.” He said with a smile. “That is awesome,” I said

We began our trek at 1 pm in the afternoon. I could see the birds caged into small cages in good numbers. Even though Karnala is a bird sanctuary. I feel the birds plight to break free from the clutches of confinement. I don’t like keeping the birds a captive. The monkeys can wander freely in and around the cages. I saw a family of Monkeys. Together they looked picture perfect. The young one was cute and had wrapped himself in his mother’s embrace and the father was leading the way and looking out for food for the family. Trek is worth all the trouble for a glimpse of such a scene in the woods.

Many boulders were perched in the middle of the path up top. I climbed upon the boulders on my all fours. Working our way through the boulders we kept climbing ahead. Lovers were entangled in each other's embrace and were lost in their own world away from the hustles of daily life. The woods were getting deeper and denser as we reached the higher reaches of the trek. But we crossed no one along the way and we were on our own. Climbing up the trail we could see fluorescent algae along the mud strewn rocks that left a luminescent glow in the dark.

“How much more trail is left?” Abhijeet asked. “It's half an hour from here,” I said. Walking along the trail we could see the massive rugged black stone that makes the top of Karnala fort. Once a professional group with their harnesses and equipment made it to the top. Now we were near the iron ladders that led up to the entrance to the fort. We could see the ancient Bor pass which connected the Konkan coast to the interior of Maharashtra and was the main trade route between these areas. We wandered around the trek clicking away photos and selfies. The water in the cisterns was not fit for drinking as it was already attacked by the algae.

We started our descend. I was already feeling hungry but the teacher-student duo hadn’t brought tiffin so we decided to reach the base and have our food in the makeshift eatery along with the monkeys. The descend was quicker. I collected some crystal rocks along the way. We reached the base at three thirty in the afternoon. I straight away went into the eatery and ordered two vada pavs along with some mineral water. I polished off my tiffin. It was a combination of Roti and French beans vegetable. Meanwhile, Abhijeet and Sanjay made their way to Pune. I waved my goodbye. I too started my return journey back to Thane.

Waiting for transport or miracle whichever came my way first. I pointed my fingers towards Panvel Station. No one really stopped. But one of the generous drivers gave a look of empathy, the one which a person gets when he is stranded in the middle of nowhere. But after a while, a Six Seater rickshaw came. I was gratified by the mere fact that I would be taken to Panvel station in forty rupees.

I must have dozed off in the rickshaw because the driver had to wake me up. I rubbed my face from the dopeyness that comes after a long nap. I paid him the money and started walking to Panvel station. I boarded the Thane train. The train started moving as I hopped in. Finding a seat near the window. I could see the sunset. The compartment was filled with an orange tinge. There was an afterglow on the leaves of the passing trees, the air was cooler now and the climate much more relenting. The post-festival blues were now long gone and I found words coming back to me as the train moved towards Thane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Earthen Pots

As I sit beside the balcony, I see two earthen pots one besides the other, light brown, freckled and same, but still there lies a difference none the less. There was a blossoming flower once, with its ripening petals of red, being watered daily it grew slowly, maturing into a mesmerising rose. But now in the earthen pot lies dried leaves, shrive l led petals, and lifeless roots, all turned into the dust, with one cruel swipe of death. Dancing to the tunes of wind, a sapling grows in the other earthen pot, watered with care and love, life finds its way out through the mud. Life and death is a cycle, one takes place after another, the old becomes one with the sands of time, and the new blossoms with eternity.

The Mountain

Siddhartha was born in the month of monsoon, in a small sleepy hamlet called Thione. He was a cute and a healthy boy born to a decent couple. The father was a craftsman and mother was teacher in the town school. They lived in their cottage by the green mountains of Thione. There universe was always peaceful and happy. Siddhartha grew up in an environment that was filled with love and care. He was an efficient learner and was quickly taking his baby steps. The first word he uttered was “Maa..” that left tears of lasting joy in his mother’s eyes. He would play for hours with his toys and would then have his lunch made by his mother. The courtyard in the house had a swing. A baby Siddhartha would swing like a pendulum sitting over it. One day his gaze fell on the green mountains behind their cottage. “Maa, what’s there in the green mountains? For how long they have been sitting there still?” He asked with an unmatched curiosity. “They have been there since a very long, long

Why does a caged bird sing?

A bird beautiful and full of grace flies over the blue sky spreading its wings along the wind l etting it take to far away lands fly ing through the trees there is a , a sudden screech and a loud noise, trapped in the net the bird makes a failed try. Alas! Its too late for all that. Gazing past the window, the bird looks beyond the trees, sings about mountains and fields that are locked beyond. I heard the bird sing, with a melancholy in his voice, for him the freedom is so near yet so far and understood why does the caged bird sings?