Skip to main content

Cycling tour to Shiva Mandir

The sun was mellowing down in the sky. The trees were living behind long shadows down the asphalt road. It was four in the early evening but the sun sets early in the winter. I decided to take out my cycle and visit the Shiv Mandir near Gaimukh.

I started my journey. I kept a bottle in the bag-pack. The road was deserted. I stopped to fill the air in my tyres. I started with a gusto that issued on my lips in the form of a song. The sky was clear blue with an odd cloud was gliding along obliviously. The wind was mild, yet soothing. The leaves rustled as if whistling. The trees slow danced in the symphony. I pedaled along passing by elegant buildings and suave shopping complexes.

I entered the Ghodbunder Road. Many a bus and car whizzed past as I was cycling on the sides of the three-lane road. The road had a decline that helped me take a breather as the cycle went on autopilot. A couple of decades ago, Ghodbunder road was a single road passing through the forests of Yeoor Hills. A sole bus traveled to and fro across the entirety of Ghodbunder Road towards Borivali.

Pedaling along I passed the Suraj Water Park. It was the first water park that was built in Thane city. I kept cycling and reached Gaimukh. A creek flows on the right and on the left is the Lord Shiva’s Temple. Earlier adjacent to the temple was a hill but now a building was being constructed. The rampant depletion of trees in this area has been a concern. But who cares if our grandchildren don’t have oxygen to breathe.

Pedaling on the slope I realized it was to steep. I got down and started dragging the cycle up top. I reached the entrance and parked the cycle. The temple has intricate carvings. It resembles temples from south India. The courtyard in big. Children were playing as their parents looked on. I could see the Gaimukh creek in the distance. The sun was getting lower down by the minute and was about to set as I started pedaling back home.

Having a glass full of Sugarcane Juice I began my return journey. I cooled down senses and I felt amazing from within. Children were coming back from school waved me. I waved back at them. I pedaled through the Ghodbunder Road the volume of traffic being the only difference.

It was dark now the sun had set long before leaving behind a crimson hue. My arms and legs were aching. The last few meters on the ramp of my society seemed to be miles. I came back home feeling gratified and exhausted at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Bowling Game

“Strike!” the screen flashed a fancy animation as the ball rammed into the pins scattering the formation to the ground. “Man, you are a game!” exclaimed Jay. I had scored the tenth strike in the row and was already feeling like Earl Anthony. I was just one strike away from the perfect game. I had to get the last one right. A million thoughts ran through my mind but only one echoed “Get the last one right”. It was a matter of seconds until I had the ball back in my hands. I was trying to think about my past throws and was wondering what made them tick. But I was having a tough time recollecting and playing out every throw in my mind. I had done something different every time the angle, the speed always had some sort of unique variation. I had to figure it out now, as the ball was in my hands, I had to get it right. One twenty seconds before the ball seemed like an extension of the arm but now it seemed to weigh a hundred ton, heavy with the burden of expectation all over it. The si

Two Earthen Pots

As I sit beside the balcony, I see two earthen pots one besides the other, light brown, freckled and same, but still there lies a difference none the less. There was a blossoming flower once, with its ripening petals of red, being watered daily it grew slowly, maturing into a mesmerising rose. But now in the earthen pot lies dried leaves, shrive l led petals, and lifeless roots, all turned into the dust, with one cruel swipe of death. Dancing to the tunes of wind, a sapling grows in the other earthen pot, watered with care and love, life finds its way out through the mud. Life and death is a cycle, one takes place after another, the old becomes one with the sands of time, and the new blossoms with eternity.

Trek to Karnala Fort

The alarm buzzed at five in the morning. Lightening up a small part of the room. I woke up wrapped in the sheets in the comfort of my bed. It was dark outside. The occasional bark of the dog pierced through the silence of the early morning as I got ready for the trek. Surbhi had decided to organise a trek and had rallied everyone to join in. I always wanted to climb Karnala fort, I eagerly joined the gang. Many of our friends left the group as they preferred the prospect of watching a movie in the multiplex over trek in the nature’s abode. Having decided to meet at Kurla at seven in the morning. I was already running late for a 7:00 am local train. I reached Kurla at 7:30 am where Surbhi, Vishal and Karan where waiting for me. The fast local from Thane was crowded and with my mobile inside I couldn't pick any call. “You are late, we were almost leaving without you.” Vishal said in a mock anger. “Even I thought I wouldn’t make it too Kurla.” I said as we burst into laughter, h